Automatic meter reading, or AMR, is the technology of automatically collecting consumption, diagnostic, and status data from water meter or energy metering devices (gas, electric) and transferring that data to a central database for billing, troubleshooting, and analyzing.
Automatic meter reading ensures bills are based on actual, rather than estimated consumption, and avoids the need for manual readings, which can be impractical and unreliable.
AMR technologies include handheld, mobile and network technologies based on telephony platforms (wired and wireless), radio frequency (RF), or powerline transmission.
Advanced metering systems can provide benefits for utilities, retail providers and customers. Benefits will be recognized by the utilities with increased efficiencies, outage detection, tamper notification and reduced labor cost as a result of automating reads, connections and disconnects.
Key benefits include:
- AMR minimises the need for onsite meter reading.
- Removes the need to validate invoices.
- Recording of half-hourly consumption
- Save between 5% and 25 % on annual utility expenditure : (sourcehttp://www.carbontrust.co.uk)
- Reduced carbon emissions
- Highlight your company’s energy efficiency
- Return on investment in energy savings